The Cricket Club has been in existence since 1888 with the ground situated on Cote Lane just above the old railway bridge. This was originally grazing land attached to Huthwaite Farm rented from the farmer there until it was purchased for the club in 1976 by the Parish Council to ensure that it would be retained in future as a recreational facility. Water, electricity and sewage services were connected to the site in 1983 by the members and the pavilion was built in 1986 so that for the first time we had proper changing rooms and toilets for ladies and gentlemen! The teams played in the Chapeltown, Penistone and Stocksbridge evening leagues until 1959 and from that time onwards have played in the Barnsley league. In the 1980s and 90s they also played in the Wm Allen evening league.
During recent years the pitch was so often badly waterlogged that in 2010 the club had to withdraw from the league since our pitch was rarely available. However, new field drains were laid and are working well so the Club is back in busuiness for 2011. The playing side has beeen reformed thanks in the main to Mr Kirk Dyson of Huthwaite Lane.
Once on COTE LANE look for railway bridge. The cricket club is 50 yards up the hill from the bridge. Please park at the bottom below the boundary rope.
Contact Graham Ducker or Kirk Dyson
Telephone 01226 791374 (GD) or 07852 159399 (KD)